Here is a recipe from my friend Roja Meeran’s blog. She is an astounding lady, a poet, a great cook and an amateur dietician. What I love about this wonderful lady is she is so willing to help anybody. Always looking out for others, this is one special lady. Hats off to you Roja for being an amazing person. I truly consider it my good fortune that I have a friend such as you.
Here is the recipe for a delightful Chennai style biryani, complete with tomatoes and coconut milk. Tomatoes and coconut milk you ask me, indeed my friends. Try it out for it works.
Recipe Modified from here.
1. Marinate mutton in Ginger garlic paste, Salt, Chilly powder, Mutton masala.
2. Soak Jeeraga samba rice in water for about 1/2 hour.
3. Keep together your whole spices. I used bay leaf, cinnamon, green cardamom, brown cardamom, mace, cloves, star anise, and dried chillies.
4. Keep all the dried powders together, here is chilly powder, biryani masala, and coriander powder.
5. Grind coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilly, shallots, ginger, fennel seeds and garlic.
5. Finely ground with a bit of water.
6.Pressure cook the mutton with a cup of water. Strain the mutton and keep it aside.
7. Keep the stock aside.
8. Heat oil and ghee.
9. Add the whole masalas.
10. Add all the powders.
11. Slice 2 onions.
12. Toss sliced onions into the biryani pot.
13. Sauté onions till brown. Add the ground masala.
14. Slice 2 tomatoes.
15. Add tomatoes to the pot.
17. Add curd to the mix and mix well.
18. Add the mutton to the mixture and mix well.
19. Add the stock, coconut milk, and water. Just remember including the curd the total level of water should be double the quantity of rice.
20. Add salt, a squeeze of lemon. I also added 5 green chillies as I didnt think the broth had any spice.
21. Five minute wait till the broth boils.
22. When the broth boils add the drained rice.
23. Cover and cook on low flame.
24. Cook for ten minutes.
25. When the food is almost cooked transfer pan to oven (or out it on dum)
26. Cook for 30 minutes.
27. Bake @ 175 C
28. Let it cook.
29. Thirty minutes later.
30. Toss coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot.
P.S I found it a little non spicy for me. So just crank up the spice.